Following suspicion of foul play in the death of army jawan Roy Mathew, his body has been sent for a second autopsy. Following the orders of the Superintendent of Police Kollam rural, Roy's body was shifted to Trivandrum Medical college on Saturday morning. The Nashik police in their report had ruled out foul play drawing from an earlier autopsy report, the same was however, rejected by the deceased gunner's family.
The distraught family that has lost its sole breadwinner alleges that a crying Roy had told his wife on February 25 that he had been called for an inquiry by senior officials after he featured in a website's sting on the army's orderly system without his knowledge. The family claims that his number went out of reach after that conversation.
After not hearing from him for days the family sent a petition to the army chief, through local MP Suresh Kodikunnil, seeking a probe into the incident. They were informed about his death on Thursday.
The army claims that no investigation was ordered against Roy whose identify was disclosed by the website but family claims that the video that went viral had enough space for Roy to be identified. They reject the army's claim of Roy not being investigated. Roy reportedly told him wife that he had gotten into trouble after a video on sahayaks in which he was secretly filmed went viral.
Roy's body was found hanging on Thursday in a decomposed state and the Nashik police had registered an accidental death report but the family suspected foul play following which his body has been sent for a second autopsy.