Mumbai, Nov 20: In a latest twist in sensational Sheena Bora murder case, investigative agency Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested Peter Mukerjea.
Peter Mukerjea has been arrested from his Worli residence in Mumbai on Thursday, Nov 19. He would be produced before court on Friday.
Peter, the media baron, is the husband of Indrani Mukerjea, the prime accused in the murder case. 23-year-old Sheena was allegedly killed by Indrani, her second husband Sanjeev Khanna and driver Shyam Rai.
Initially, Peter claimed that he was kept in dark regarding the true relationship between Sheena and Indrani and he was told that Sheena had gone to US for further studies. But his arrest brought a new twist in the case.
CBI arrested the former India TV CEO hours after submitting their 1000-page charge-sheet in the case.
Why has Peter Mukerjea been arrested?
- CBI booked Peter Mukerjea under Section 201 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
- The section relates to causing the disappearance of evidence of offence, or providing false information.
- CBI was forced to arrest Peter as he was 'evasive' during interrogation on Thursday.
- Peter allegedly gave 'contradictory' answers during interrogation.
- Indrani Mukerjea allegedly gave enough hints that Peter was aware of the murder.
- Peter knew about the true relationship between Sheena and Indrani.
- Peter allegedly had received a letter which was written to Indrani by her parents.
- In the letter it was mentioned that the Boras wanted financial support to raise Indrani's kids (Sheena and Mikhail) in Guwahati.
- Peter allegedly tried to shield Indrani Mukerjea.
Sheena Bora murder case:
Sheena was murdered in 2012 but the news came into light in Aug 2015 when Mumbai Police arrested Indrani Mukerjea and her two aides.
Sheena was Indrani's daughter from her first marriage with Siddharth Das. Later she got married to Peter Mukerjea but did not disclose Sheena's real identity.
She was introduced as Indrani's sister. It has been suspected that Sheena might have blackmailed Indrani or her murder is related to a money trail between the Boras and the Mukerjeas.