Mumbai, Jul 26: To avoid any untoward incident following Bollywood superstar Salman Khan's tweets defending Yakub Memon, the death row convict in the 1993 Mumbai blast case, police here have beefed up security outside the actor's residence in suburban Bandra.
"We have tightened security outside Salman Khan's residence to prevent any untoward incident," DCP (detection) Dhananjay Kulkarni said.
The 49-year-old actor said that an "innocent" is being hung for the crimes of his brother and the prime suspect in the 1993 bombings - Tiger Memon.
In a series of tweets last night, Salman had defended Yakub memon. "Get tiger hang him. Parade him not his brother (sic)," he tweeted.
"Been wanting to tweet Tis fr 3 days n was afraid to do so but it involves a man's n family. Don't hang brother hang tha lomdi (fox) who ran away (sic)," he tweeted.
"1 innocent man killed is killing the humanity," he said on Twitter.
Political parties in Maharashtra including Shiv Sena and BJP have condemned Salman's remarks. Memon was the only convict in the case whose death penalty was upheld by the Supreme Court.
After his curative petition was dismissed, Memon has submitted a mercy petition to Maharashtra Governor. The President had earlier rejected his mercy petition.