Sanjay Dutt sent back to Yerwada jail as furlough extension not granted

Mumbai, Jan 8: Actor Sanjay Dutt, who was out on a 14-day furlough, was sent back to jail on Thursday after prison authorities refused to extend his leave.

As per reports, Dutt had sent a request to the authorities for an extension of his furlough. He was released on a 14-day leave of furlough by the Pune's Yerawada Central Jail authorities on December 24, 2014.

Sanjay Dutt sent back to Yerwada jail

"Our department had asked the police authorities to give us a report on his (Dutt's) extension. We wanted to know what are the reasons sought by him and how genuine they are. But we have not received any report as yet," a top official from Maharashtra Home department told PTI.

The actor is serving 42 months of his five year sentence from May 2013. He is convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case for illegally possessing an AK-56 rifle and destroying it.

Dutt, while leaving his home, told reporters that he had applied for an extension of furlough on December 27, and that the application is "still under process." "We had requested for an extension of furlough on December 27 which is still under process.

Since the law stipulates that I should surrender myself before authorities if I am not granted an extension, I am going to do so now," the actor said.

Sanjay Dutt has already spent over 100 days out of the jail between May 2013 to May 2014 either on furlough or parole. Dutt was previously granted furlough in October 2013 for 28 days on health grounds, followed by a similar leave in December 2013, to tend to his "ailing" wife Manyata.

Dutt is undergoing the remainder of his five-year jail term for possessing illegal firearm that was part of a cache of weapons meant to be used during the 1993 blasts.

(With inputs from agencies)

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...