Mumbai, May 8: In a big relief for Salman Khan and his family members, the Bombay High Court on Friday, May 8 suspended his 5-year jail sentence.
The Bombay High Court's judgment has come as a gift to all fans of Salman Khan as the actor now will not be taken to jail. The Bollywood superstar will be a free bird for some time.
What does suspension of sentence mean?
- The Bombay High Court accepted Salman Khan's appeal.
- The judge was not convinced that there were grounds to depart from the norm in which bail is generally granted in sentences of less than seven years.
- He also said the rights of the accused had to be protected.
- The High Court also directed the sessions court for an expedited hearing.
- The High Court will decide a date for final hearing on the appeal of suspension. The final hearing will be in July 2015.
- The High Court will hear fresh argument of the prosecution and defence and will decide whether to cancel the sessions court's order or not.
Now, what's next for Salman Khan?
- Salman Khan has already left from his Galaxi apartment in Bandra (W)
- He will appear before the Sessions Court where he will surrender himself
- A fresh bond of Rs 30,000 will be executed by the actor
- He will also surrender his passport in the court as he is not allowed to go abroad
- If Salman wants to travel to foreign country, then he needs to take special permission
- Salman Khan is a free man till the final verdict comes from the Bombay High Court