New Delhi, May 6: In a big blow to Salman Khan, a Mumbai Court on Wednesday convicted Bollywood actor.
After finding actor guilty in all the charges against him in the 2002 hit-and-run-case, the Court sentenced Salman Khan to 5 years.
Here are the 10 big developments in the case.
1. As the court delivered the verdict, Salman had tears in his eyes and stood silently in the dock.
2. The Judge said that Salman was driving the car on that fateful night when the accident took place.
3. Judge also said that the actor was drunk and did not have a licence.
4. When court asked Salman Khan that whether he considers himself guilty, he out rightly denied that.
5. Actor absolved himself of all charges, and said that he was not driving the car on that night.
6. Court relied upon judgements in Alistair Pereira case and Nikhil Nanda BMW case of Delhi while convicting Salman.
7. According to latest report Salman Khan has been taken into custody.
8. The Prosecution to move a perjury application against Salman Khan's driver Ashok Singh for giving false testimony
9. The court is discussing the quantum of punishment for the actor.The prosecution has demanded maximum punishment.
10. The Defence has said that as the actor has ‘brain ailment' and he does lots of social services so he should be given least punishment, so he should be given least punishment.
Section of IPC under which Salman Khan has Charged
The actor has been charged under IPC sections 304 part II (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) which attracts upto 10 years in prison; 279 (rash and negligent driving) which stipulates six months jail.
Also charged under 337 & 338 (causing hurt by act endangering life and causing grievous hurt respectively) with punishment up to two years and 427 (mischief causing damage to property) with maximum punishment of upto two years.
Under Motor Vehicles Act, Khan has been charged under Sections 34(a), (b) read with 181 (driving vehicle in contravention of rules) and 185 (driving at great speed after consuming alcohol).
He has also been charged under provisions of Bombay Prohibition Act relating to driving under influence of alcohol which provides for maximum six months' jail.
Prosecution Vs Defence
While the prosecution had insisted that a drunk Khan was driving the Land Cruiser, the actor had claimed that it was his driver Ashok Singh who was behind the wheel. Singh has endorsed the defence's claim
Prosecutor Pradeep Gharat has alleged that Khan was driving the vehicle after consuming 'Bacardi rum' at a bar, a charge denied by the actor, who said he had just a glass of water.
The defence had also argued that police had not obtained finger
prints from the steering wheel to find out who was driving the
What happened on September 28, 2002?
One person was killed and four others were injured on the night of September 28, 2002 in suburban Bandra when Salman's Toyota Land Cruiser rammed into a Bakery. The victims were sleeping on the pavement when the SUV ran over them.
Nurullah Mehboob Sharif was killed in the accident in which Kalim Mohammed Pathan, Munna Malai Khan, Abdullah Rauf Shaikh and Muslim Shaikh had been injured.