Mumbai, March 30: A new twist might bring good news for Salman Khan. While recording statement in a court in Mumbai, driver of the Bollywood actor, claimed that he was driving the car on Sept 28, 2002.
During cross-examination of witness in the court on Monday, March 30, Salman's driver Ashok Singh said, "I was driving the car when the mishap occurred in 2002."
Earlier on March 27, the 49-year-old actor recorded his statement and he too said, "My driver, Ashok Singh, was driving the car at the time of the accident in which one person was killed and four were injured."
The actor also rejected allegation of having alcohol prior to the accident. He also claimed that the entire evidence placed in the court against him was "false".
The actor denied having taken drinks at a bar where he had gone with his friends and brother Sohail Khan just before the mishap occurred.
Khan's car had rammed into a bakery shop in suburban Bandra in the wee hours of Sept 28, 2002.
Salman may face 10-year jail:
This is a fresh trial being held in a sessions court after a Magistrate added the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder which lays down punishment up to ten years.
The prosecution has alleged that the actor was under the influence of liquor and examined witnesses to prove that before the mishap he had gone along with his friends to a bar in a hotel in the late hours on the ill-fated day.