New Delhi, Jul 21: The Delhi government has estimated that it would cost about Rs 35 crore to dismantle the controversial Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor, a pet project of the erstwhile Sheila Dikshit dispensation.
According to a senior official, the government will soon float a tender to scrap the stretch and the Public Works Department (PWD) will be asked to supervise the project.
Facing public criticism, the Aam Aadmi Party government today decided to scrap the controversial BRT corridor in South Delhi, built at a cost of around Rs 150 crore to encourage public transport. The decision to dismantle the corridor between Ambedkar Nagar and Moolchand was taken at a Cabinet meeting, presided over by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
"The government has estimated that it would cost around Rs 35 crore to dismantle the controversial BRT corridor which was aimed at de-congesting the city. The PWD will be asked to float tenders to dismantle the corridor," the official said.
The official, however, said that government will examine the five new proposed BRT projects, adding that bus lane, which was built on central verge, may be constructed on left lane while executing new corridors.
"We will get more space on roads to make traffic flow smoother after scrapping the corridor," said Additional CP (Traffic) Sharad Agarwal.
The five proposed BRT corridors are: Karawal Nagar-Mori Gate, Gazipur-National Stadium, Badarpur-IGI Airport, Dilshad Garden-Tikri Border, and Bhopura Border-Janakpuri District Centre.
The existing BRT corridor had been facing severe criticism since its inception in 2008, but then Chief Minister Dikshit had strongly defended the project.