The 17-times grand slam champion announced earlier Tuesday that he was withdrawing from the Madrid Open.
"I've decided to withdraw from Madrid to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family," Federer posted to his website. "I apologize to my fans and hope to be back in Madrid next year. I'll be training near my home, and am excited to rejoin the Tour soon!"
Federer had previously said that he would miss the French Open Grand Slam tournament which begins on May 25 if parental duty were to call.
"Yeah, let's talk about it when it would happen. At the moment we hope it's not going to be that way," Federer told the Associated Pres last month. "If it is, that's what it is, you know."
Federer's agent, however, told the AP Tuesday that the No. 4 player in the world plans to play in the French Open.