Rare feat: Hyderabad hospital conducts heart surgery on foetus

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Rare feat: Hyderabad hospital conducts heart surgery on foetus
Hyderabad, Oct 31: In a first, a Hyderabad hospital performed a rare, path-breaking surgery on foetus inside a pregnant woman's womb. 

According to a Zee news report, the 25-year-old woman Shirisha, a science teacher from Ranga Reddy district of Telangana, approached Care Hospital in Hyderabad where her foetus was detected with a defect in the heart. Shirisha was in the 26th week of pregnancy then.

The doctors led by Paediatric department head Dr Koneti Nageshwara Rao along with his team decided to take up the challenge and performed the surgery on the foetus. This rare surgery was carried out by 12 specialists.

The report says that Shirisha is due for delivery in December last week or January first week.

Dr Nageswara Rao told Zee News that they have successfully completed 60 per cent of the work and the rest 40 per cent will be completed after the baby is born.

Oneindia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...