Bengaluru, Nov 13: The Karnataka government has all the time in the world to counter any protest against Tipu Sultan and has even termed him as a patriot and a secular ruler.
However, there are bigger issues which daunt the city of Bengaluru, which the law makers seem to have no time for.
8 incidents of rape in two years and three alone in the past two months somehow does not seem to catch the attention of the government which can lead us to safely conclude that women's safety is a joke out here.
8 rapes in two years:
Yesterday an alleged gang rape was reported near the Tennis Club of Bengaluru. While the police were quick to arrest two security guards for the alleged incident, like other cases reported in the past this one too is all set to become part of a statistic.
- On Nov 6 2015, a 19-year-old was allegedly raped in a bus at Hoskote near Bengaluru. The police are probing the matter.
- On Oct 3 2015, a 22-year-old working with a BPO, was allegedly gang raped in a moving van in the heart of the city under the Madiwala police station limits.
- On May 12, 2014, four men gang raped a 26-year-old resident of Mumbai woman at the HSR Layout.
- On July 11, 2014, a 22-year-old Manipal University student was allegedly sexually assaulted by five men at Frazer Town.
- On Oct 24, 2014, a 25-year-old mother was raped by robbers at the HSR Layout.
- On Oct 13, 2013, a National Law School student was allegedly raped in the campus
- On Nov 22, 2013, a 16-year-old was allegedly raped at HAL
Cannot police everyone, but....
The police say that it is not correct to say that there is no concern for women's safety.
However, the point that is being missed out here is that the investigations have been relatively slow and with courts being flooded with cases, it takes a long time to bring the accused persons to justice.
What needs to be noted in all the above mentioned cases is that they have taken place in very busy areas. Was there no police patrolling or has the fear of the law vanished?
In one or two cases, one could say that the victims have been careless, but then the follow up action on part of the police has been slow.
There are questions that are being asked about the manner in which the night patrols are carried out. If rapes can take place on such busy roads, then there is very little that needs to be said about secluded areas of the city.