The Prime Minister was at his oratory best when he addressed the Upper House of the Parliament and also dealt with the opposition Congress' criticism single-handedly.
Apart from taking potshots at the opposition benches, the PM also highlighted the good work done by his government and concluded his speech by reciting "Safar Mein Dhoop To Hogi" by Nida Fazli.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's address in RS:
- Death is a blessing...it's above criticism...no one criticises death. People say someone died of cancer, (people say) he died of old age...The cancer and old age is blamed but not the death.
- Sometimes I feel Congress is also blessed (like death)...whenever we criticise Congress, media says 'opposition is under attack', however, when the ruling establishment criticises parties like Janata Dal-United or Bahujan Samajwadi Party, the media says 'JD-U is under attack or BSP is under attack'.
- This is a chamber of ideas, it must guide nation. Coordination between Houses is essential. Nation is waiting for us to pass many bills.
- I am grateful to Ghulam Nabi Azad, he brought a record of people who didnt have accounts under Jan Dhan Yojna. He worked as if with a microscope. You use microscope on me. But you didn't use even binoculars when UPA was in power.
- There are two type of people in the world. First, who 'work' and second are those who take credit for others' works. One must try to become the second type for it takes less effort.
- I am not an economist like Manmohan Singh, thats why I am not that knowledgeable. But I know some things.
- We should aim to double the income of farmers by 2022. We have emphasised on "value addition".
- Clean India Mission is transforming into a mass movement, this is unprecendented. Never has this Parliament debated over cleanliness before we came.
- Cleanliness helps the poor the most. Due to lack of cleanliness the poor are forced to spend more money on medicines.
- The biggest beneficiaries of MUDRA bank are SC/ST, OBC communities and women.
- We are focussing on accountability. I am reviewing infra projects and I am seeing projects are stalled for decades.