New Delhi, April 24: In the 19th edition of his monthly radio programme, "Mann Ki Baat", Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday, April 24, addressed the people of the nation and talked on a number of issues.
He discussed about the ongoing drought situation, water scarcity and stressed on the importance of Panchayati Raj in our country, among other topics.
Here are the highlights of what PM Narendra Modi said in his address:
- "I was told that in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, administration took water crisis issue sensitively and brought about changes in crop pattern."
- "News of good rainfall this monsoon is great but it brings challenges as well. We need to look into how to maximize crop productivity."
- "It is imperative to conserve and store rain water in villages. We must start a campaign to promote this."
- "'Ganga' is an essential water resource. We have to become a changing agent to conserve water and promote cleanliness drive there."
- "We will all have work towards cleaning of the Ganga. The Government is making numerous efforts."
- "Today is April 24, It is celebrated as 'Panchayati raj' diwas in our country. it has helped reach democratic values in villages."
- "I request parents to speak to their children regarding their day to day activity in school.It can also help in providing quality education."
- "We have to now concentrate on providing quality education. We have shift focus from only 'schooling' to 'learning'."
- "Along with education, skill development is also important. Technology can play a great role in providing quality education."
- "In past, during elections which party will provide how much gas cylinders was an imp subject, committee were set up to discuss this. But I took a third way, I believed in my people. I urged them to give up their gas subsidy."
"I am very proud to say that today about 1 crore families gave up their gas subsidy willingly."
- "I want to congratulate those 1 crore families who gave up their subsidies and want to thank them. It is not a small thing."
- "I want to tell all political parties in the country that we must believe in our people, they can do wonders."
- "I want Centre and State Govt to initiate a photo competition of 'Kumbh Mela', which is our speciality."
- "Many people are uploading photos of the 'Simhasth Kumbh'. We should encourage them, so that people know about the Kumbh Mela."