PM distressed by death of labourer, compensation announced

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Varanasi, Jul 16: Prime Minister Narendra Modi was distressed by the death of a labourer in a mishap at the venue of his rally, which was later cancelled, and his family would be given a compensation of Rs 7.5 lakh.

"When Modi heard the news of the tragic death of the labourer at the DLW Grounds, he felt grief and expressed his condolences. He also said that in deference to the departed soul, it would not be proper to go ahead with the functions scheduled for the day," Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal told reporters. [Varanasi: Bengal labourer electrocuted while decorating stage for Modi's rally]

narendra modi

He said the family members of the labourer, who was electrocuted after he gripped a wire while falling, will be given a compensation of Rs 7.5 lakh by the Power Finance Corporation which was the organiser of the proposed function at the Diesel Locomotive Works Ground. [Heavy rains force PM Narendra Modi to cancel his visit to Varanasi]

The programme included launching of the Integrated Power Development Scheme by the Prime Minister, who represents Varanasi seat in the Lok Sabha.

Replying to a query, Goyal denied that any shortcoming in the electric wiring could have caused the death of the labourer and asserted, "I have myself visited the site of the incident and spoken to some of the other labourers present on the spot, who I was told were also distant relatives of the deceased.

"They told me that the worker was standing on a platform seven to eight feet high when he tripped and gripped a wire to prevent himself from crashing on the ground.

"Current was passing through the wire which snapped under his weight and caused his electrocution," the Minister said.

Devnath, a gardner from West Bengal, died in the wee hours after he suffered an electric shock from a damaged electric wire at DLW grounds, District Magistrate Pranjal Yadav said.

Station Officer of Manduadih police station Gopal Prasad Gupta said that Devnath slipped while working and caught hold of an electric wire passing from a pole near him.

The wire suddenly broke and he received an electric shock. He was immediately rushed to hospital but succumbed on the way.


Please Wait while comments are loading...