At least 15 persons were killed and nearly two dozen others injured when an apparently leaking gas pipeline of GAIL caught fire and triggered a blast in Nagaram village in the coastal district, about 560km from here, yesterday.
"A baby girl, who was undergoing treatment for severe burns, died today at a private hospital in Kakinada. With this the toll in the incident rose to 16,"
East Godavari District Superintendent of Police G Vijay Kumar told PTI over phone. The SP said 20 others who suffered burn injuries were undergoing treatment at different hospitals. The condition of at least six of them remains critical as they have suffered around 80 per cent burns.
The leaping flames from the pipeline passing through the village in Mamidikuduru mandal quickly swept through nearby houses and coconut plantations, leaving behind a trail of destruction. Leaking gas had enveloped some areas of the village and the tragedy occurred when a tea shop vendor lit up a stove, setting off a blast, police had earlier said.