Pathankot, Jan 6: After an operation to flush out six terrorists, the IAF base here was thrown open to the media, providing a glimpse into the happenings of last three days when the attackers and the security personnel were engaged in a bloody and intense gunbattle.
The area of the operation showcased the trail of the militants and places of strikes and encounters inside the complex.
The Pakistani terrorists were heavily-armed which is reflected by the recoveries including AK-47 rifles, Under Barrel Grenade Launcher, pistols, knives and commando knives, 40 to 50 kgs of bullets and 3 to 4 dozens and mortar.
Earlier in the day, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, who paid a visit here, patted security forces, saying they had done an excellent job by containing the highly-motivated terrorists on suicide mission within practically 250-meter radius.
"Encounter continued for only 36 to 38 hours. It started at 3.30 AM when Garud (IAF commando) forces engaged the terrorists," he told reporters.
"It is difficult operation and a systematic one," said Parrikar flanked by Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag and Air Chief Arup Raha. "In this operation, six terrorists have been neutralised. Two bodies have been burnt beyond recognition. They have to be confirmed after double DNA tests. But at two places, the body parts have been recovered as there were continuous explosion taking place. The body has been mutilated. They have recovered in two parts," the Defence Minister said. NIA after conducting DNA test will confirm six number", he said.