Over 400 devotees take ill after eating 'prasad' in MP

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Ujjain, Feb 18: Over 400 people fell ill after consuming the 'prasad' distributed during 'Mahashivratri' festival at a temple in Chiridi village of the district, health officials said on Wednesday.

Around 3,000 villagers ate the 'prasad', comprising 'khichdi' and 'kheer', distributed at Mahadev temple in Tarana tehsil on Tuesday, around 35 kms from Ujjain, acting Chief Medical and Health Officer, Dr DPS Gahirwar, told PTI.


The 'prasad' distribution which started from noon had continued till late night.

"As many as 99 persons are still being in treatment at the district hospital, while the rest had been discharged from different hospitals," Gahirwar said.

After consuming the 'prasad', more than 400 persons complaining of vomiting, loose motions and nausea flocked to Tarana Primary Health Centre and other clinics, Gahirwar added.

As many as 99 people were rushed to district hospital, he said, adding, all of them are keeping well now and will be discharged shortly.

The official said people fell sick due to food poisoning and samples of 'prasad' have been collected for test.


Please Wait while comments are loading...