* The benefit will be given with effect from July 1, 2014. The government said it assumed office on May 26, 2014 and therefore, it was decided to make the scheme effective from a date immediately after.
* To begin with, OROP would be fixed on the basis of calendar year 2013.
* Pension will be re-fixed for all pensioners retiring in the same rank and with the same length of service as the average of minimum and maximum pension in 2013. Those drawing pensions above the average will be protected.
* Personnel who voluntarily retire will not be covered under the OROP scheme. Those taking voluntary retirement due to injuries will be protected.
* In future, the pension would be re-fixed every five years.
* Estimated expenditure is Rs.8,000-Rs.10,000 crore. Arrears are expected to be around Rs.12,000 crore.
* A one-member judicial committee will be formed with a Supreme Court judge to look into the unsorted issues of OROP, and give a report in six months.