New Delhi, Sept 5: One Rank One Pension which was announced by the government of India today has evoked mixed reactions.
While the BJP says that only Prime Minister, Narendra Modi could have taken such a bold step, the veterans (a section of them) feel that justice has not entirely been done.
Let us take a look what the government had to say on OROP and how the veterans reacted to it.
What the government said:
- One Rank One Pension announced
- OROP will be implemented from July 1 2014 with a base year of 2013.
- The Pension of ex-servicemen would be revised every five years
- OROP will cost the exchequer Rs 8,000 to Rs 10,000
- OROP arrears will be paid in 4 installments on a half yearly basis
- Pension re-fixed will be the average of the minimum and maximum pension in the year 2013
- Pensioners drawing above the average to be protected
- Personnel who have retired voluntarily not to be covered under OROP
- One member judicial committed to be constituted to give reports on the equalization period. report to be submitted in six months.
What the veterans are saying?
There have been some sharp reactions by the veterans who are protesting outside Jantar Mantar in New Delhi. While many have rejected the government's clauses there are others who have thanked the government for implementing OROP. Here is what the veterans are saying.
- Happy with government announcement. We thank them
- Denial of pension to those who have taken voluntary retirement not acceptable
- Those who have retired prematurely also should get OROP. This is a clause introduced by the bureaucracy
- We want a five member team in the commission which includes three veterans. One man commission not acceptable
- Will continue agitation and hunger strike