New Delhi, Feb 19: HRD ministry on Thursday, Feb 18, passed twelve unanimous resolutions, in a conference attended by vice chancellors of 46 central universities, in Surajkund, Haryana.
Out of the twelve resolutions, one was prominently highlighted by the media, that said, "All central universities will fly the national flag on a 207 feet high mast at a prominent place on their campuses". The move came in the backdrop of the massive controversy over alleged anti-India protests in JNU.
HRD minister Smriti Irani had called the meeting of VCs after the death of dalit scholar Rohith Vemula at the University of Hyderabad triggered a massive controversy and brought the spotlight on problems faced by disadvantages sections.
Here is the full list of 12 resolutions unanimously passed at the conference of Central University Vice-Chancellors, as per the Press Information Bureau (PIB):
1. In order to optimize academic output of the student community, universities to institutionalize peer-assisted learning through an active mentoring system involving senior students and faculty.
2. To ensure a transparent proactive mechanism for grievance redressal of the university community, including students, staff and faculty, steps to be taken to appoint an Anti-Discrimination officer.
3. To increase cost-effective and transparent access to Higher Education Online Admission process to be commenced.
4. To increase Gross Enrolment Ratio to 30% in Higher Education, to increase access through starting classes in double shifts to overcome the infrastructure and human resource bottle necks.
5. In order to keep pace with the fast emerging knowledge society in the global world, new and innovative courses are proposed to prepare for the future needs of the nation:
a) Social Sciences and Humanities
(i) Applied courses in Foreign Languages
(ii) New Media and Youth
(iii) Inter-faith Studies
(iv) Dialogue of culture & Civilizations
(v) Women and entrepreneurship
(vi) Epidemiology & Public Health
(viii) Citizenship and value education
(ix) Diaspora studies
b) Science, Technology & Agriculture
(ii) Converging technologies
(iii) Applied Science & Maths
(iv) Farming Technology
(v) Rural Supply Chain Management
(vi) Renewable energy development
6. In order to ensure that no student is deprived of Higher Education due to language limitation universities to ensure instruction in English and an Indian language as applicable to the state.
7. To enable students to take correct personal and professional decisions, to implement a professional system of comprehensive guidance and counseling by experts.
8. In order to ensure a healthy, safe and congenial work environment for women, students, staff & faculty, institutionalize a suitable redressal mechanism and strengthen the existing system.
9. At a central place at every university, the national flag will be flown prominently and proudly. [All central universities to fly National Flag]
10. To motivate students to be socially aware and responsible citizens and to inculcate a spirit of dignity of labour among the youth and commitment for social upliftment, village adoption programme already in place under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan be strengthened.
11. For ensuring transparency in and speedy delivery of services administrative Reforms coupled with e-governance to be taken up on priority.
12. One-week course on leadership and management at two select IIMs for V.C.s Pro-V.C.s and Registrars.