Maggi Controversy: Nestle denies receiving recall order from central, state FDAs

New Delhi, Jun 3: Nestle India today said it has not received any order from the central or any state FDA authority for recall of its Maggi noodles as the controversy over safety issues deepened.

"We have not received any official communication from the authorities so far," the company said in a BSE filing.

Nestle denies receiving recall order

It further said: "We wish to state that we have till now not received any orders from any state/Centre FDA authorities to recall Maggi noodle products in the market except an order from the Uttar Pradesh FDA dated 30.4.2015 asking us to recall a batch of Maggi noodles manufactured in February 2014, which had already reached the 'Best Before date' in November 2014."

Meanwhile, Kishore Biyani-led Future Group today stopped selling Maggi in its retail stores.

[Nestle in trouble again! Larvae found in milk powder in Tamil Nadu]

"In the interest of consumer sentiment and concerns, we have taken Maggi noodles off the shelves from all our stores for the time being. We will wait for more clarity from authorities to take any further course of action," a Future Group spokesperson said.

Modern trade retail outlets like Big Bazaar contribute a large chunk of sales for FMCG firms, including Nestle. Nestle India, which has been at the receiving end with several state governments ordering tests to find out lead and monosodium glutamate (MSG) content in Maggi noodles, said it's "cooperating with the authorities".

Yesterday, the Delhi government decided to initiate a case against Nestle India after it found samples of Maggi noodles "unsafe" for consumption. The probe into alleged lapses has already widened to different parts of the country.

However, Nestle India claimed that it has got samples tested in an external laboratory as well as its in-house one, and the product is found "safe to eat".


Please Wait while comments are loading...