Launching the initiative at Noida, PM Modi said Jagjivan Ram served the nation for years.
"As agriculture minister, Babu Jagjivan Ram did a lot to usher in the green revolution. In 1971, he was the defence minister," Modi said.
"Whatever one's party is, we have to remember those who have lived for the nation," the prime minister said.
Jagjivan Ram was a member of the Congress, and later of the Janata Party.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's speech at Noida:
- As agriculture minister Babu Jagjivan Ram did a lot to usher the green revolution. In 1971 he was the defence minister. Whatever one's party is, we have to remember those who have lived for the nation.
- 'Stand up India' aims to empower every Indian and enable them to stand on their own feet.
- Talking about importance of 'Stand up India' scheme PM Modi said, "The job seeker has to become a job creator."
- This scheme is going to transform the lives of people from Dalit and Tribal communities, said the prime minister.
- Got to have 'Chai Pe Charcha' with families of e-rickshaw beneficiaries, said the PM.
- E-rickshaws will be given to those who do not own rickshaws. The beneficiaries of this will be the poor, PM Modi further added.
- There were few autowalas who did not own their own rickshaws and half of what they earn were spend on rent, added PM.
- When the poor of the nation script our progress journey, that is when India will develop, said PM Modi.
- PM Modi appealed e-rickshaw beneficiaries to educate their children particularly your daughters.