New Delhi, Apr 29: Members of various parties in Lok Sabha today opposed holding of the first phase of common entrance test for MBBS and BDS on May one saying it gives little time to students, with some of them also demanding that states be given time till 2018 to adapt.
The Supreme Court had yesterday agreed to the Centre's plan of two-phased common entrance exam for medical courses to be held on May 01 and July 24.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Jagdambika Pal (BJP) said a single-phase test should be held on July 24 to give all students equal amount of time, a demand support by Rajiv Satav (Cong) who however also added that the Centre should first move the apex court to get time till 2018 for states like Maharashtra.
The Maharashtra government, Satav said, had urged the Supreme Court to give it time till 2018 as it had already come out with the schedule of the test held by it, but the court did not accept its argument.
Pal said the two dates for National Eligibility Entrance Test will give advantage to students taking the exam in the latter phase and the students who have to appear for it on May one would be "under stress".
Arvind Sawant (Shiv Sena) said the students could earlier write the examination in their mother tongue but this time their options are limited to Hindi or English as the CBSE said it is not left with time to offer more choices.
"The HRD Ministry should go to the Supreme Court," he said. Satav said 80 per cent of the students of Maharashtra would be adversely affected by this decision.