Man loses wife, new born to hospital negligence, seeks justice

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bengaluru, Oct 31: Aparna and Chetan did not know what awaited them when they were posing for their pregnancy shoot on Oct 10. By the time Chetan realised it, it was too late. Aparna and their newly born baby were gone.

Aparna was an employee at a private bank and happily married. She got pregnant and had lots of dreams about their child. So, she was excited about the pregnancy shoot with her husband and wanted to upload the pictures on FB immediately. But Chetan refused...for good as it would have been hard to face it later.


11 days later, 28-year old Aparna was admitted to the Motherhood hospital, but died in the morning of October 21 after complication during childbirth. The baby too was born brain dead and died at night.

Chetan alleged that this happened due to hospital's negligence. "We were told to get her admitted and they said they will try for a normal delivery. She was given labour-inducing tablets thrice on Oct 20. They gave the tablets at 6 pm, 10 pm and 2 am. At around 5.00 am she was moved to the labour delivery and recovery room (LDR). At 5.30 she was taken to the operation theatre."

"We were not told anything clearly. One nurse said ‘rupture', that's all we knew. At around 8.30 am (on Oct 21), her doctor told us that she was not responding. But she was clearly dead by then, they did not even tell us. It was only after 10.00 am that a nurse told us Aparna was no more, that too when my brother-in-law asked them," said Chetan expressing his anger at the hospital.

He alleges that the hospital was not prepared for an emergency as there were no oxygen cylinders. "We think the baby passed stool. We are not sure of what happened and no one was telling us properly," Chethan said.

"We were shown the baby at least two hours after it was born and the doctor told us he was floppy (brain dead) and they will try and save him. The very day, my baby died. They were not forthright about the baby's condition, only one of the doctors told me there was no hope," he further added.

Aparna-Chetan 2

The hospital chairperson, Mohammed Rehan Sayeed, however clarified that the case was complicated and it was not the doctor's mistake. He explains,"The doctor-in-charge followed the WHO protocol and administered pain inducing medicines. At around 4.30 am she was only 5 cms dilated, but the fetal heart rate was down and so we wanted to shift her to LDR. During the time between the shifting from room to LDR and then to theatre, her water broke. We think that it was a case of amniotic fluid embolism."

In a situation like this, an allergic reaction is induced in the mother's body when the amniotic fluid surrounding the baby enters the mother's blood stream via the placental bed of the uterus. It is most likely to occur during delivery or immediately after that.

The doctor further explained,"The reason why we believe it was amniotic fluid embolism was because she was showing allergic reactions on the theatre bed, her face and body was beginning to swell. The first thing to do was to take the baby out and so an emergency C-section was done. It seems like after delivery, there was a second exposure to embolism, which resulted in a cardiac arrest."

Syeed said that he had video evidence that the doctors informed them of Aparna's condition as and when required. In an FB post, a family firned said that it was difficult to fight against the hospital authorities as it was run by powerful people. Dr Rehan Sayeed is actor Mammootty's son-in-law and his son Dulquer Salman had invested in this.

Dr Syeed, however, refuses to accept the fact and said that his family is no way related to the issue. Expressing his sympathies to the family, he said,"Aparna's friend was the anesthetist. The family attacked the gynecologist."

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...