Terrorists of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) outfit attacked an army camp in Uri sector of Jammu and Kashmir early on Sunday killing 17 soldiers and injuring over two dozen others in the worst attack on a military base in the northern Indian state in a decade.
Here are some other major attacks on camps and convoys of Indian security forces in the recent past:
* September 9, 2016 - A CRPF camp attacked in Tahab Sector, in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, but no casualties were reported. The attack came barely days after senior Hizbul Mujahideen militant Rizwan Nahak warned of more attacks against the security forces in a video message.
* September 7, 2016 - Army convoy attacked in Handwara, in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir. Three soldiers sustained bullet injuries. The militants fled. The convoy had left from Kupwara for Baramulla, near Srinagar.
* August 19, 2016 - Three BSF soldiers were severely injured when militants entered a BSF camp in Tangdhar Sector of the Line of Control. Three terrorists involved in the attack were killed two days later.
* August 16, 2016 - Army convoy attacked in Khwaja Bagh in Baramulla district. Two soldiers and one policeman were killed. Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack. The terrorists fled the spot.
*June 3, 2016 - Three soldiers were killed and five others injured when terrorists opened fire at a BSF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir's Anantnag district. The soldiers were returning to duty from leave.
* January 2, 2016 - Terrorists attacked the Indian Air Force Station at Pathankot. Four attackers, one civilian and seven security personnel were killed while 20 soldiers were injured in the attack that lasted four days.
* August 5, 2015 - Two terrorists from Pakistan attacked a BSF bus. Two BSF personnel were killed and 10 injured. One terrorist was killed on the spot, the other was arrested a day later.
* June 4, 2015 - At least 18 soldiers were killed and 11 others were injured when militants ambushed an army convoy in Manipur's Chandel district.
* December 5, 2014 - Militants attacked an army camp at Mohra, in Uri, the regional headquarters of the army's artillery regiment. Eight soldiers and three policemen were killed as also six militants. The attack came two days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Srinagar ahead of the third phase of assembly elections in the state. It was also a pre-dawn attack just like the one on September 18.