Mumbai, May 20: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi, after the central government cleared an ordinance deferring the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) by a year.
The Centre gave its decision following protests from some states and medical colleges over a Supreme Court ruling mandating the exam for all medical aspirants. "Grateful to Modi ji and the Centre for postponing NEET by a year," Fadnavis said.
"It has brought relief to lakhs of students," the CM tweeted. Fadnavis on Wednesday met the Prime Minister in New Delhi in connection with the standoff between states and the Centre over the NEET issue, amid concerns raised by parents and students. Minister for Higher, Technical and Medical education Vinod Tawde also thanked Modi. "A massive thanks to Modi for relieving students of Maharashtra from NEET exam.
Our efforts for the students bore fruits," the minister said. Three weeks after medical aspirants took the first phase of NEET, the Union Cabinet today decided to bring in an ordinance, setting aside Supreme Court order that made a pan Indian common medical entrance test mandatory.
Facing pressure from state governments, who opposed the proposal on grounds of logistical issues as well as regional differences in languages making NEET an unfair benchmark for students from state boards, the Centre will be deferring the implementation of the common medical entrance test by one year.
Earlier this week, health ministers from all states had met with the Union Health Minister J P Nadda on the issue. The second round of NEET was to be held on July 24.