Despite efforts of the district administration and police, a mob turned up at the NSCN(IM) designated camp for the second day today, Zunheboto Superintendent of Police told PTI. Thousands of Sumi people, protesting against attempted rape and molestation of two of their women allegedly by four cadres of the outfit on December 21, have been attacking the NSCN(IM) camp since yesterday under the aegis of the apex bodies of the tribe, Sumi Hoho.
"We are restricting the mob, but are unable to stop them," the SP said. He confirmed that in today's firing between the cadres of NSCN(IM) and the locals, which lasted several hours since afternoon, one civilian suffered bullet injury, taking the number to seven since yesterday, while one had been killed. However, casualties on the side of the NSCN(IM) cadres could not be ascertained as the police and administration is unable to reach the designated camp, he said.
He said though Sumi Hoho, which is spearheading a 'flush out mission' against the NSCN(IM) has claimed to have gunned down three of its cadres, police is unable to confirm it. Meanwhile, Sumi Hoho secretary Vihuto Assumi through an SMS claimed that three NSCN(IM) cadres were shot dead while eight civilians have been critically injured.
The clash between the two groups halted due to darkness while a large number of people are still around the camp and would continue with the clash after the dawn. The people, who converged at the camp breaking security barricades put up by the forces, were angry as the NSCN(IM) did not hand over the four accused to the district administration by the set deadline of December 25.