"I am a little disappointed because the institution which has found that sexual overtures were made, was to have taken the matter forward," he told reporters here.
He said in his view, prima facie the apex court has "brushed it under the carpet, in a sense that they have said that they have nothing to do with the matter because he is no longer a judge."
Sibal: If he was no longer a judge, they should not have set up an inquiry
A three-judge committee of the apex court has indicted Justice Ganguly for "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards a woman law intern.
Justice Ganguly, who retired from the apex court more than a year ago and currently heads the West Bengal Human Rights Commission, was accused by the intern of sexually harassing her in a hotel room in Delhi last year.
He has strongly denied the charge. Chief Justice of India Justice P Sathasivam had on Thursday explained that since Justice Ganguly was not a serving judge at the time of the incident, no further follow up action was required by the Supreme Court.
"Well, if he was no longer a judge, then they should not have set up the inquiry. Having come to a conclusion, they cannot give that reason to say they won't take it forward," Sibal said.