Kolkata, April 17: Bidhan Nagar or Salt Lake City police is in quandary whether to attend calls on emergency helpline 100 or not! The police officials of Bidhan Nagar have alleged that they get so many prank calls that it makes difficult for them to help people in distress.
Bidhan Nagar City Police Control Room (PCR) receives over 1,000 prank or fake calls a day. Operators, who attend the call on three phones have a tough time deciding who are real and genuine people in distress, who need immediate police help.
Here are some kind of fake calls that are regularly made:
- Unhappy girlfriends call and tell PCR to arrest their boyfriends.
- Mobile shop owners make 'testing' calls to 100 to show customers that mobile is working fine.
- Most prank callers are drunk men and even children make calls just to have fun!
- Parents make calls to police and tell them to scold their children for not studying.
- Sometimes people make a call and put the receiver down, without uttering anything.
- Some children make false reports on fire or accidents or crime and then they boast of the fact that they can talk to police!
The toll-free emergency number 100 is dialled by people in distress to get immediate assistance. To stop the misuse of number 100, there is a provision under Section 188 of the Indian Penal Code to punish fake callers.
If found guilty, the caller can face jail term of one year or a fine of Rs 1,000. Besides, warning notices are issued to people under Section 149 of Criminal Procedure Code.