While Congress and Rajiv Gandhi's son Rahul Gandhi have expressed their disappointment and displeasure at the idea, there are others too who have shown their discontent, reports a report by IBNLive.
Apart from the ex-Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, there were 19 other people who were dead in the blast of May 21, 1991. Some lost their parents, while others lost their spouses. Several such instances have emerged after the decision where the victims' families turned victims to politics yet again.
Edward Joseph's brother John Joseph said,"I can still remember the day this incident happened. When I got a call saying my brother met with an accident. I reached the hospital and I still did not think he would be dead. So many innocents were killed."
Victims' families await the verdict on March 6; may file a review petition
Another S Abbas, then 10 years old lost his mother, orphaning him completely as he had already lost his father. "Í was 10, when my mom died. I lost my dad before that. I'm an orphan and I have been brought up under difficult conditions. They should get life term if not capital punishment. Guilty should be punished."
Rahul Gandhi feels the same as he opposes the death penalty, but does not want the people responsible for his father's death to "walk free".
However, on the flip side of the coin, there are others who were elated by the decision. Perarivalan's mother was the first to meet Jayalalitha after the decision. Murugan and Nalini's daughter was also thankful to the Jaya government. She said,"I am very thankful to whoever support them and to Sonia Gandhi for making this possible."
Meanwhile, the stay order on the release of the blast accused by the Supreme Court was a relief for many. The families of the victims are willing to wait till March 6 for the final verdict on March 6. However, if it is not favourable to them, they are likely to file a petition of their own to the Centre's review petition and seek justice.