All the scriptures of the world, talk about great happiness because they know that is everyone's ultimate quest. Happiness is not related to what we have or what we don't have. It is simply our state of mind. Happiness is not a commodity that you can buy somewhere. It is present where you are, right here and right now. Whatever we are seeking here and there, is right here, within us. In life there is always some botheration, about one thing or another. That is why it is called maya (delusion). If someone loves you, it becomes a botheration, and if they do not love you, then also it becomes a botheration.
Your friends are a source of botheration, and so are your enemies. So what one should hold on to is a resolve, "Come what may, I must not lose my happiness." Whether you suffer a loss in your business, or in a relationship; or a loss in any other sphere of life; you should not lose your happiness. Then you catch on to the real thing and this is the measure of your growth. Look into your own life, how many difficulties have come and gone, and you have come out of them. All those moments have gone. Those circumstances and events have passed, but you go on dragging those events in your mind. Remove them from your mind and see how calm and relaxed you feel.
There are 5 ways to be happy:
1. See the world where there are greater and bigger problems. Then, your problems will appear smaller. The moment your problems appear smaller, you will get the energy and confidence to deal with it or solve it. Serve those who are in greater need.
2. Look at your own life. In the past, you had many problems. They have all come and gone. Know that even this will go and you do have the energy and power to overcome it. You will get self-confidence by understanding and looking at your own past.
3. Most importantly, do some breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation.
4. In anger, we say, 'I give up'. Now, without frustration or anger say, 'I give this problem up, I cannot solve it, let the Divine help me.' And know that you will always be helped. Have the confidence that you will be helped; a power in the universe is going to help you.
5. We are always looking for solutions from someone. We forget that if we turn our mind inward, we can get some idea, some solution. Spontaneity will come when you take a few minutes to go deep within yourself. There is nothing great in smiling when everything is going the way you want. But if you awaken the valor inside of you, and say, 'Come what may, I am going to keep smiling', tremendous energy will rise within you and the problem comes and disappears.
Remember one thing; YOU are responsible for your happiness. Be determined, 'Come what may, I am not going to let my happiness be taken away by anybody. Even if God comes and yells at me, I will tell God, 'Thank you, this is your gift to me.'' Make this determination today and see what happens. Both happiness and sorrow have their purpose. One should consider all types of situations as conducive and think of them as ingredients contributing towards your sadhana (Meditation). Go inwards to the source of happiness, from where joy comes. When you go to the source of happiness, the senses are strengthened, contentment comes to the mind, and things become available the way you want them.