India's Daughter row: BBC documentary on Nirbhaya's rapist uploaded on YouTube

New Delhi, Mar 5: Hours after British broadcaster BBC defied Indian government's request of not airing the controversial documentary featuring one of the December 16, 2012 gang rape convicts and broadcast it in Europe, the video has now been uploaded on video sharing website YouTube by an individual.

BBC documentary uploaded on YouTube

The video uploaded on YouTube, in wee hours of Thursday, has already gone viral and social media is flooded with debates over government's decision over banning the documentary.

Meanwhile, Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi has said police will take action against the person responsible for uploading the video which has been banned.

"We will take steps to ensure that it is not broadcast anymore. We are going to take action, whatever is required will be done under law," Delhi CP, told media persons on Thursday.

However, the BBC site says "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only".

The home ministry on Wednesday said orders were obtained from court to restrain the broadcast of the documentary.

In a communication to the Home Ministry, the BBC said that in compliance with the Government of India's directive, it would not telecast the documentary in India, official sources said. However, in the same communication, the British media giant said that it has broadcast the film in United Kingdom last night 10 PM (GMT).

The Union Home Ministry had on Wednesday asked BBC not to broadcast the documentary anywhere. Officials had said the Home Ministry is also planning legal action against British filmmaker Leslee Udwin for allegedly violating stipulated permission conditions.

The documentary "India's daughter" by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin has kicked up a storm over the interview of one of the six men who raped the 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist on December 16, 2012 on board a moving bus in Delhi. She later died in a Singapore hospital where she had been airlifted for specialised treatment.

A Delhi court had said the order restraining airing or broadcasting the interview of the convict Mukesh Singh, which was conducted inside the Tihar jail here, will continue till further orders.

The documentary includes an interview conducted by Udwin and BBC, of Mukesh Singh, the driver of the bus in which the 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally gangraped by six men on December 16, 2012. Mukesh has made derogatory statements against women in the documentary.

OneIndia News

(With inputs from agencies)

Please Wait while comments are loading...