Holidays turn tragic for this family, toddler loses 3 fingers in escalator accident

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Chennai, June 10: In a tragic incident, a two-and-half year old boy lost his three fingers, while he was on an escalator, along with his parents.

According to reports, the incident happened on Tuesday, June 9, afternoon, when the toddler, S Rishik, went for shopping at Spencer Plaza on Anna Salai in Chennai, at around 12.30 pm.

escalator

His parents Santhosh Ram and Saranya, were standing on the escalator, that was going down, when Rishik suddenly touched the railings and hid right hand got stuck in it.

After a panic was created, the mall staff officials pressed the emergency button, to stop the escalator.

But, by then, irreparable damage had already taken place as Rishik had lost his middle, index and ring fingers. After an-hour long search, his three severed fingers were found inside the escalator. They were kept inside an ice box and the boy was rushed to nearby Government Royapettah Hospital.

A security woman was quoted saying as, "The boy kept crying as his hand got stuck and his fingers got crushed between the metal sheet and floor."

Boy's hand was removed after a portion of the escalator was dismantled.

The injured child was referred to the Government Stanley Hospital for treatment, but his parents were not satisfied with the treatment, so they took him to a Right Hospitals in Kilpauk.

According to police, doctors performed a surgery to attach his fingers. He is now under observation.

One of the witness was quoted saying as, "The child had come to the shop with his parents to purchase shoes an hour before the accident. He was cheerful and happy."

The couple hails from Kolhapur in Maharashtra, but they are settled in Bengaluru. The family had came for holidays in Chennai and were staying at a hotel off Anna Salai.

Meanwhile, Thousand Lights police is investigating whether the escalator was faulty.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...