The Supreme Court had to ultimately cancel licenses of several coal blocks.
An SSC passout, Ahir held a number of positions, which are:
- 1994-96 : Member, Maharashtra Legislative Council
- 1996 : Elected to 11th Lok Sabha
- 2004 : Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 2 Jan. 2006 : Member Standing, Committee on Coal & Steel
- 5 Aug. 2007 : Member, Committee on Food Management in Parliament House Complex
- 2009 : Member, Standing Committee on Agriculture
- 31 Aug. 2009 : Member, Joint Parliamentary Committee on Wakf
- 23 Sep. 2009 : Member, Standing Committee on Coal and Steel
- 15 Mar. 2010 : Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1 May 2013 : Member, Standing Committee on Coal and Steel
- 3 May 2013 : Member, Committee on Privileges
- May, 2014 : Member, Railway Convention Committee
- 13 June 2014 onwards : Member, Committee on Public Undertakings
- 1 Sep. 2014 onwards : Member, Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes (OBCs)
He has been rated as the best parliamentarian for introduction of 24 private bills out of a total of 288 bills Prime Point Foundation (PPF).
He has also been a member of many Standing Committees and Parliamentary Committees. From September 1, 2014 onwards, he has been the chairperson of the standing committee on Coal and Steel.
He is an agriculturist by profession.