Jaipur, May 27: Talks to resolve the stand-off over the issue of job reservation for Gujjars will continue tomorrow with a spokesperson for their delegation saying a breakthrough is likely during the fresh parleys after Rajasthan government today expressed its inability to meet their demands.
Rajasthan government invited the Gujjars for another round of talks today with the assurance of a fresh formula to resolve the impasse after it told them today that it would not be possible to accord five per cent quota in jobs within the legal limit of 50 per cent.
A separate quota within the 50 per cent would have adverse consequences for social harmony in the state, the government said.
"A government official told us that a fresh proposal to meet our demands would be made tomorrow, so we are staying on to hold the next round of the talks. A breakthrough is likely tomorrow," Himmat Singh, spokesperson for the Gujjar Arakshan Sangharh Samiti, told PTI.
After the talks failed last evening, the Gujjar delegation initially expressed dissatisfaction over the government's efforts before later agreeing to hold another meeting in Jaipur today. They are expecting that the government would come up with a fresh formula for 5 per cent quota for the Gujjar community.
Speaking to reporters this evening after the talks with the Gujjar delegation, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajendra Rathore said, "We today expressed the government's inability to make any change in the current reservation arrangements in view of social harmony."
"We cannot accord separate five per cent reservation to Gujjars within the limit of 50 per cent. The Gujjar delegates said they will discuss it with their people and get back to us soon," he said. Although the Gujjar delegation initially expressed dissatisfaction over the government's stand, the members decided to stay back in Jaipur after a proposal came for another meeting tomorrow.
"The government gave us a draft highlighting the efforts it had made in the past to ensure reservation for the community, but we are not satisfied with that.
"It expressed its inability to accord five per cent reservation for us in jobs within the 50 per cent as it may disturb social harmony," said Himmat Singh. The government earlier in the day directed the local administration and police in four districts to evacuate Gujjar agitators from railway tracks and highways in compliance with a high court order.
While parleys between the Gujjars and the government will continue tomorrow, High Court has also summoned the Rajasthan DGP and the Chief Secretary to appear before it to share what action has been taken to remove rail and road blockade put up as part of the Gujjar agitation.