The matter, which has disrupted parliamentary proceedings during the past week, rocked the Rajya Sabha again today with members from CPI-M, CPI, SP and BSP staging a walkout expressing dissatisfaction over Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prakash Javadekar's statement on the issue.
Maintaining that it was a sensitive issue, which has many aspects, the minister said a discussion is needed to determine on whether a major reform of the examination pattern of the UPSC is required. Referring to the demands of some Opposition members and a suggestion given to him by Ramgopal Yadav (SP) in this regard, Javadekar said, "An all-party meeting will definitely take place. If there is need, more such meetings can take place."
Noting that nine lakh students are appearing for the August 24 preliminary test of the UPSC, the minister urged the members, "let us give our best wishes to all those, who are taking the August 24 exam."
Reacting sharply to the suggestion by the minister, Sitaram Yechury (CPI-M) said the views of all the parties have already come in the House and asked why does the government not take a decision on that basis rather than calling an all-party meeting. Members from the CPI-M including P Rajeeve wanted to know the "status quo" asking whether the statement given by the Minister of DoPT Jitender Singh earlier on the issue now remains valid after Javadekar's remarks.
"What is the status quo? Is it incorporative of the UPSC notification," Rajeeve asked. Deputy Chairman P J Kurien tried to pacify the members saying, "The minister has not said that the statement is invalid." "Do not apply delaying tactics. Government should say what is the status quo...this is not satisfactory. That is why we are staging a walk out," Yechury said before joining members of SP, BSP and CPI in the walkout.