Nadia, March 19: The septuagenarian nun, who was gangraped by some goons in Convent of Jesus and Mary in Nadia district's Ranaghat, some 80 km from Kolkata, on Saturday, March 14, reportedly tried to save two other nuns, before becoming a victim of the heinous crime.
As per a report published in Indian Express, the goons were molesting two other nuns when the Sister Superior intervened and prevented them from molesting them.
Then, the goons took her to a separate room and committed the dastardly act. The nun was found lying in a pool of blood at 4 am.
The intruders even tried to snatch rings and chains from the nuns, who told them not to touch them as they 'belonged to God'.
"Sister has forgiven her oppressors"
Cleemis was quoted saying as, "The sister is in the hospital, she is at peace and she forgives her oppressors. She is praying for everyone, including the oppressors. I was surprised she spoke with such serenity."
"She said she has forgiven but added that what happened to her should not happen to anyone else. As this period of Lent is very special for Christians, she said that the way she saw it, her suffering helped her identify with the suffering of Christ at this time, and she hoped it would yield in bringing blessings to everyone", he further said.
Cleemis who met West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday, welcomed her decision to hand over the probe to CBI.
"The CM has ordered a CBI probe and we are very happy and satisfied. We hope for the best," he said after calling on the chief minister at the state secretariat. "We are confident that everything will go positive in the state," he added.
Meanwhile, Hospital superintendent A K Mondol on Wednesday said that the hospital authorities were "in a position to release her, but the final decision has to be taken by patient party, the police and the district administration.
"No arrest so far"
"No arrests have been made in connection with the incident. Fifteen persons have so far been detained, Nadia district superintendent of police Arnab Ghosh said yesterday.
A police team has been sent outside the state in connection with the investigation. The CCTV footage at the convent had shown four persons, who were allegedly involved in the crime.
The SP had announced a reward of Rs one lakh to any individual providing information leading to the arrest of the accused.
Hours after a high-level Catholic delegation visited the spot and demanded "visible" action including arrest of the culprits, Mamata announced she would "entrust the investigation" to the CBI, considering its "seriousness and sensitivity".