Fire in Mumbai High-Rise Building: When ordering a Pizza proved to be a blessing in disguise

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Mumbai, June 8: Seven people were killed and 28 people were injured when a high-rise building in Mumbai caught fire on Saturday, June 6. It was a horrible experience for the residents of the building. But they did not know that someone's decision of ordering a pizza would prove to be a blessing in disguise.

21-year-old Jitesh, who works in Eagle Boys Pizza, went to Lake Homes Complex building to deliver pizza. However, he had had a life-changing experience at the building.

['Blast in AC compressor may have led to Mumbai high rise fire']

Fire

Without thinking about his own life, Jitesh went into the building and rescued more than 20 people who were entrapped into the building which caught massive fire.

Jitesh, while speaking to a TV news channel, was quoted as saying, "There was an electrician, a plumber, a security guard and another resident with me. We rushed to the 14th floor after we saw people shouting for help from their balconies."

He also said, "We made 7 to 8 trips from the 14th up to the 22nd floor, bringing people down to the ground floor so ambulances could carry them to the hospital."

The fire started following an explosion in the compressor of an AC on the 14th floor of the 21-storey residential building in Chandivali and soon spread to the upper floors due to presence of combustible materials like wooden furniture and foam in flats, a Fire Brigade official said.

The incident comes less than a month after four firemen, including the city's Chief Fire Officer Sunil Nesarikar, died while dousing a devastating blaze in a building in Kalbadevi on May 10.

[Mumbai's chief fire officer succumbs to burns]

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...