However, police said that furniture, records, computers and other electrical items on the second and third floors were completely gutted.
The LIC building is a prominent landmark in Kanpur. The fire broke out at 9 a.m. on the third floor.
People noticed the fire after they saw a mass of smoke coming out from the building. Five fire tenders were rushed to contain the fire. "After more than two hours, the fire was brought under control," a fire department officer told IANS.
"Prima facie the fire appeared to have begun from a short circuit," he added.