New Delhi, March 4: Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday said the government has taken necessary action to stop the telecast of a documentary based on the interview with a convict in the Dec 16 gang-rape case.
Making a statement in the Rajya Sabha, the Home Minister said government condemns the December 16, 2012 incident and will not allow to leverage such incidents for commercial use.
"It has come to the notice that the said interview was scheduled to be telecast by BBC-4 on International Women's Day on March 8," he said.
"Our government condemns the incident of 2012. The government has taken necessary action and secured a court order restraining telecast of the film," the minister said.
He further said the permission conditions were violated by the documentary maker. He said that permission had been granted for social purposes and the documentary was not to be used for commercial reasons and in the public arena. He assured the House no such permission would be granted in the future.
The issue forced the adjournment of the house for 15 minutes amidst noisy scenes earlier as members expressed outrage over the interview.
(With agency inputs)