Bengaluru, July 14: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Thursday claimed a technological breakthrough by successfully conducting the proof firing of armament system for the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS).
The technical trials for the 155 mm x 52 caliber ATAGS was conducted recently at Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore.
DRDO says the first fully integrated gun system will be ready for user trials (for Indian Army) by early next year.
"We are committed to develop and field ATAGS in the shortest timeframe with active participation by leading industries to meet the requirement of Indian Army," says an official.
DRDO promises to develop and field ATAGS in the shortest timeframe by involving leading industries.
Know more about the desi ATAGS
* It is a fully indigenous towed artillery gun system.
* The armament system comprises of barrel, breech mechanism, muzzle brake and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre.
* Capable of night operations in direct fire mode.
* It has a longer range, accuracy and precision and provides greater fire power.
* The system is configured with all electric drive to ensure maintenance free and reliable operation over a longer period of time.
* The system has a firing range of 40 km.
* Has high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system.