Mumbai, April 10: Taking a step towards fulfilling his party's promise to make Maharashtra toll-free, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Friday announced the closure of 12 toll plazas in the state while exempting private light motor vehicles and buses of the state transport corporation at 53 toll plazas from May 31 midnight.
Making a statement in the Legislative Assembly, Fadnavis said the decision on the levy of toll at five entry and exit points in Mumbai and on Mumbai-Pune Expressway would be taken after the high level committee headed by Additional Chief Secretary (public works) submits its report on July 31.
Out of the 12 toll plazas, 11 belong to the MSRDC and one of PWD. While of the 53 toll nakas where light motor vehicles and state transport buses will be exempted, 27 belong to PWD and 26 are of MSRDC.
The BJP had promised a toll-free Maharashtra if elected to power after the Assembly polls in October last year.
However, the party after forming the government had taken a U-turn saying it had never said so but assured that it would provide some relief to people.