"Today we have sent the proposal to the UGC (University Grants Commission) and are waiting for their response," the university's media coordinator Malay Neerav told the media.
He said the university, one of the oldest in the country, was keen to resolve the row that has halted admissions to its affiliated colleges this year, affecting tens of thousands of students.
"We also want the admissions to start soon," he said.
The admissions were to begin Tuesday but were suspended after the University Grants Commission told Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh to scrap the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP).
The FYUP, introduced last year, replaced the better known three-year undergraduate course.
Delhi University's proposal to UGC follows suggestions from vice chancellors of different universities in the country as well as professors and colleges of Delhi University.
The UGC sent a letter to Delhi University late Wednesday, asking the university to begin admissions from Thursday.