Delhi Uber rape victim withdraws case in US court

New Delhi, Sept 2: The Delhi woman who was raped by an Uber cab driver last year is said to have withdrawn her case, according to a US court filing. An employee of a finance company in Gurgaon, the woman had accused the driver of beating and raping her on her way home.

The driver was arrested within a week's time, but Uber had to face innumerable lawsuits and charges. It was also instructed to stop operations in Delhi and was directed to revise its security policies.


The woman had also sued Uber in a federal court in US in January, citing that the company failed to maintain the basic safety procedures. Uber's Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick had assured that Uber will take all measures to ensure the safety of the women passengers and would scrutinise the background of the drivers before recruiting them.

The court filing has not disclosed any other details as to how the case was settled. Neither Uber nor the woman were willing to comment. The woman had mentioned in her lawsuit that Uber was a "modern day equivalent of electronic hitchhiking. "Buyer beware - we all know how those horror movies end," she said.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...