December 16 gangrape case: Juvenile found guilty of rape


New Delhi, Aug 31: Finally, the verdict has been announced in the brutal gangrape case in Delhi that took place on the night of December 16 last year and outraged the entire nation.

As the nation was expecting a verdict in the gangrape of 23-year-old paramedical student, the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) on Saturday declared the accused juvenile guilty of all offences including rape and murder.

The accused will now be sent to a special reformatory home to serve the maximum three-year sentence.

He was one of the six accused involved in the brutal gangrape case. While the juvenile faced inquiry before the JJB, the other four adult accused--Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur--are being tried before a fast track court.

The victim's family had demanded death penalty for the accused juvenile.

They have been charged with gangrape, murder, criminal conspiracy, unnatural sex and robbery besides other sections of IPC.

Key accused Ram Singh was found hanging in Tihar Jail in March and the proceedings against him stand abated.

The case had sparked intense debate on anti-rape laws and whether the juvenile age should be lowered.

Victim's family unhappy

Victim's mother, who was unhappy with the Board's verdict informed the waiting journalists outside the court that they will now challenge the verdict in the High Court.

She said, "We have heard that he will get a maximum of three year sentence, this is really upsetting for us. It will be a life long regret for us that our daughter's murderer was alive."

Making an appeal to the Board, she said "We request that the verdict in the case must not be delivered based on the age of the offender but on the intensity of crime committed."

"I have been misled and do not understand the judgment that has been pronounced. If they wanted to sentence him only for three years, then they should have done that long back," she said.

The victim's family had demanded death penalty for the accused juvenile.

"Earlier, we were praying with folded hands before doctors and God for our daughter's life. Now we are praying before JJB to convict her assaulter and award maximum sentence", she said earlier in the day.

Today morning, the victim's mother said she was satisfied with the proceedings and was sure to get justice for her deceased daughter.

Since July, the Juvenile Justice Board had deferred the verdict four times.

During the inquiry, the juvenile had denied all charges against him, claiming he was not a participant in the horrendous crime.

The victim lost the battle for life, two weeks after the incident, while receiving the treatment at a hospital in Singapore on December 29.

The gangrape case led to protests all across the country.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...