A special court in Bangalore is expected to deliver the final verdict of the case around 3 pm on Saturday, Sept 27. She along with her aide Sasikala are charged with accumulating Rs 66 crore wealth disproportionate to known sources of her income from 1991-96 in her first term as Chief Minister.
Now, what will happen as Tamil Nadu CM is found guilty in 18-year-old case?
- She will be disqualified as an MLA for 6 years.
- 66-year-old Jayalalithaa may face up to seven years in jail.
- The three-time Chief Minister will have to step down and appoint a loyalist in her place.
- There's speculation that she could be considering a few names - former Chief Secretary Sheela Balakrishnan tops the list.
- Others include former DGP Mr Natraj, former Advocate General and Rajya Sabha MP Navaneedakrishnan, Visalakshi Nedunchezhian, wife of late former Minister Nedunchezhian and Transport Minister Senthil Raja.
How will the verdict leave an impact on Tamil Nadu politics?
- Jayalalithaa had spenta few days in jail after her arrest a few months after an FIR was filed in 1996.
- However, the verdict had gone in the favour of the Chief Minister.
- She later defeated M Karunanidhi-led DMK government in Tamil Nadu in 2011.
- However, the latest verdict, if it goes against Jayalalithaa, might create serious trouble for AIADMK.
- The party virtually swept the state in Lok Sabha elections 2014, winning 37 of 39 Lok Sabha seats.
- But the same party may lost assembly election in the state which is due in two years.