New Delhi, Oct 14: China will continue to play spoilsport and block India's NSG bid as well and efforts to ban Jaish-e-Mohammad Chief, Maulana Masood Azhar. China once again says that India's NSG bid would be blocked until a consensus is arrived.
The statement comes a day before the Chinese Prsident Xi Jinping lands in India to attend the BRICS summit to be held in Goa.
China's Ministry for foreign affairs said that there is no change in China's stance on the NSG membership. The spokesperson for the MFA, Geng Shuang said at a press conference that it would continue to oppose India's NSG bid until a consensus among the member nations is reached.
There needs to be a consensus on allowing countries into the group that have not signed the non-proliferation treaty. Until such time China will oppose India's bid the spokesperson also said.
On the move to ban Masood Azhar, Shuang said that there were differing views among the members of the United Nations Security Council. There are differing views on whether Azhar should be listed as a terrorist or not, he said.
The MFA further added that such issues are done in accordance with the provisions of the UN charter. The committee must work on true before making a decision, he also said.
China had for the second time extended the technical hold against a ban on Azhar. China had in April too used its UNSC veto against a ban on Azhar despite India making a serious bid and providing ample proof on his involvement in the Pathankot attack.
Shuang was however quick to add that relations between India and China had been making progress despite some disputes. The mainstream bi-lateral relations have been positive he said while also adding that cooperation outweighs competition.