Chhattisgarh Naxal attacks: What was the motive?

Kanker, April 13: Chhattisgarh has witnessed three strikes by Naxals in three days. While the past two days have witnessed the ambushing of police personnel and also the burning of a vehicle, one police personnel was killed on Monday in an encounter.

The Naxals clearly are in an aggressive mode and it appears as though they are fighting back every now and then,‎ despite the security agencies doing everything to beat them down.


377 naxals had surrendered last year

Last year official statistics revealed that 377 Naxalites had surrendered before the police. These included top leaders too. ‎[Chhattisgarh: Maoist attack BSF post in Kanker again, 1 jawan killed]

The question is despite these surrenders, the Naxal menace has not gone down.

There are several reasons for this. Not all the surrenders were genuine.

Naxals devised a strategy to hood wink security forces. They offered villagers a hefty sum of money to give themselves up before the police.

In addition to this some of the arrests of the top leaders too were stage managed by the Naxals.

Some leaders were trying to break the movement and it was the Naxals themselves who leaked information so as to have them arrested.

An official with the Intelligence Bureau tells OneIndia that this was a strategy that was devised by the Naxals to deliberately hood wink the police.

There is a tendency to take things a bit lightly when surrenders in such large numbers take place.

Naxals are desperate, says Chhattisgarh police

The Chhattisgarh police however, say that the Naxals are by and large weakened now.

They don't enjoy the local support any longer.

They have in fact been using force against the villagers who offer protection out of fear and against their own will.

Speaking about the three back to back attacks, the officer says that the Naxals need to be lucky once but for security agencies they need to be lucky all the time.

They are acting in desperation and what we have been able to do to keep them on tenterhooks.

The naxals have been trying to expand their base and we have managed to bust at least ten such recruitment camps.

They were ideally trying to build a 200 member strong force, however, we have reduced their numbers a great deal, the official also informed.

Expansion down South

Central Intelligence Bureau officials are keeping a close watch on the developments at Chhattisgarh.

They say that their camps at Chhattisgarh are the strongest.

These recent attacks are more of an announcement regarding their presence.

The idea would be to strengthen their force as they are making a desperate attempt to spreading their tentacles down South.

Recently, officials have picked up a lot of activity in the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

There has been an attempt to send Naxals from Chhattisgarh to South.

The war against the Naxals is at a crucial and delicate state now, the officer also added.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...