Apart from Lucknow, Warangal, Dharamsala, Chandigarh, Raipur, New Town Kolkata, Bhagalpur, Panaji, Port Blair, Imphal, Ranchi, Agartala and Faridabad have been placed in the second list smart cities.
The Smart City is a flagship programme of NDA government. Centre has earmarked Rs 48,000 crore for development of 100 smart cities. All Union Territories, including Delhi, have found place in the list.
The core infrastructure elements in a smart city would include
- Adequate water supply,
- Assured electricity supply,
- Sanitation, including solid waste management,
- Efficient urban mobility and public transport,
- Affordable housing, especially for the poor,
- Robust IT connectivity and digitalization,
- Good governance, especially e-Governance and citizen participation,
- Sustainable environment,
- Safety and security of citizens, particularly women, children and the elderly,
- Health and education.
The first list of smart cities was announced in August last year.