CBI confirms Chhota Rajan's arrest

New Delhi, Oct 26: The Central Bureau of Investigation has confirmed that the man arrested in Bali, Indonesia is Chhota Rajan. The CBI also says that it had made a request to arrest Rajan who had flown in from Sydney to Indonesia. CBI director Anil Sinha confirmed the development and said that they had requested that Rajan be arrested.

The CBI has been in touch with the Interpol for several months now. In fact the last known location of Rajan was at Sydney in Australia. He was being tracked and Australia tipped off regarding Rajan moving to Indonesia.

[Who is Chhota Rajan?]

Chhota Rajan

While there is confirmation now that the man arrested could be Rajan, a team of Indian officials will visit Indonesia and gather more information from their counterparts. Since the detention was carried out by the Interpol, it would be the CBI which will ascertain further details on the man arrested. A team of officials will visit Indonesia and confirm the identity of the man, an official also informed.

The Indonesian police detained Rajan based on a tip off by Australia. He had arrived in Bali from Sydney police spokesman Heri Wiyanto told AFP. The 55-year-old Nikalje had been on the run for two decades and Interpol had flagged him as a wanted man in 1995, Wiyanto said.

"We received information from police in Canberra yesterday (Sunday) about the red notice for a murderer," he said. "We arrested the man at the airport yesterday. What we know is that this man was suspected to have carried out 15 to 20 murders in India."

Bali police are coordinating with Interpol and Indian authorities and it is likely Nikalje will be deported to India, Wiyanto said.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...